Theo Theodore who was the electrical buyer for Masters quit this week with the retailer now having to provision millions for future problems associated with the sale of the questionable cables of which 40% was sold via the Masters Hardware chain.
The ACCC claim that the Infinity cable does not comply with electrical safety standard, AS/NZS 5000, and experts have advised that the coating may degrade prematurely and break if disturbed, exposing the internal live conductors and potentially causing electric shock or fire. Sales of the cable have been prohibited since October 2013.
Infinity cable was supplied in all states and territories except the Northern Territory. Around 4000km of cable has been sold, affecting an estimated 40,000 households and businesses.
ChannelNews understands that another senior executive at Masters has already started shopping his resume following an investigation by the Woolworths owned Company.
Retailers of the cable include Masters Home Improvement, Home Timber & Hardware, Mitre 10 and Thrifty Link and up to 30 other retailers in Australia.
This week the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has announced additional recalls of the cable following their initial recall in August 2014.
Masters customers have been asked to alert their customers if they've used Infinity cable on jobs.
Choice said recently that householders who've had electrical wiring work carried out during the relevant periods - 2010-13 for NSW, 2011-13 for ACT, 2012-13 for Victoria, WA, SA and Queensland, and 2013 for Tasmania - should also contact the responsible builder, electrical contractor or appliance installer to confirm whether Infinity cable was used.
If Infinity cable was used - or may have been used - the contracted or nominated cable supplier should be given the first opportunity to arrange an inspection of your wiring. The supplier must also arrange for remediation of any installed Infinity cable that they supplied, free of charge to the consumer. Any affected cable installed in accessible areas or near heat sources must be removed and replaced under the safety recall.
ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard cautions, "Consumers should not attempt to inspect cables themselves. The Taskforce found there is no immediate danger but careful steps should be taken by a licensed electrical contractor to avoid electric shock or fires from occurring in coming years. Homeowners and tradespeople are urged to turn off all the main power switches at the switchboard before heading up into the ceiling space at all times".
ACCC Chairman Rod Sims said, "This recall serves as a reminder that companies sourcing or accepting products from less expensive overseas suppliers must have quality assurance processes in place to ensure the safety of consumers".
"Consumers usually know that the better the bargain the more wary they need to be; consumers would expect companies selling such goods to be wary on their behalf."