Instagram launched nearly four years ago, saying one of its priorities has always been to bring its community a range of "simple yet powerful tools that let people capture moments and express their creativity".
The Company says it's new app, announced at its blog
does just that, using in-house stabilisation software to shoot polished time lapse videos that were previously impossible without bulky tripods and costly equipment.
Claiming to have designed Hyperlapse "to be as simple as possible", the app doesn't need account creation to begin, but instead you open up directly to the camera.
Click to enlarge
Tap once to begin recording and tap again to stop.
We're then told that you then simply "choose a playback speed that you like between 1x-12x and tap the green check mark to save it to your camera roll", and that you can share your video on Instagram easily from there.
Examples given of potential use cases include "documenting your whole commute in seconds or the preparation of your dinner from start to finish to capturing an entire sunset as it unfolds", the Company says it is "thrilled about the creative possibilities Hyperlapse unlocks", and they cannot wait to see what users will create.
The description at the iOS App Store says: "When you shoot a time lapse video with Hyperlapse, your footage will be instantly stabilized to smooth out the bumps from the road and give it a cinematic feeling.
"Capture an entire sunrise in 10 seconds-even from the back of a moving motorcycle. Walk through the crowds at an all-day music festival, then distill it into a 30 second spot. Capture your bumpy trail run and share your 5k in 5 seconds."
- Shoot handheld time lapse videos in motion- while you're walking, running, jumping or falling.
- Smooth out your video for cinematic quality with automatic stabilization.
- Speed up your hyperlapse to be up to 12 times the speed.
- Share your videos seamlessly on Instagram and Facebook or save them to your camera roll to share anywhere, anytime.
- Start filming immediately with a simple design that gets out of the way of your creativity
- Download and start capturing. No sign up or account required.
Currently only available for iOS devices and optimised for the iPhone 5 and above, the app launches at version 1.0.0, and is 10.9MB in size.
There is no word on when an Android version will become available, although presumably Instagram's engineers are working on it.
Alex on Google+