Broken smartphone screens are the scourge of smartphone owners who have accidentally dropped their phones, and can be quite expensive to replace.
Now comes the NeonTuff from CMI Accessories and NomadNRG to save the day.
Unlike traditional plastic screen protectors, NeonTuff is "poured and baked in six layers including Acro PRO PMMA acrylic, two superhard ceramic NANO coatings and a layer of shatterproof film - resulting in the highest achievable level of hardness in plastics - 9H".
NeonTuff says its 9H hardness rating "is equal to that of tempered/enhanced glass", but with a manufacturing process which allows NeonTuff "to be tougher and safer, as it removes the major risk area of those products - the lack of impact dissipation protection which sees tempered and enhanced glass products susceptible to shattering on impact into thousands of dangerous hard glass shards."
It does this with a crystal clear transparency that has a "glass-like" feel at only 0.3mm thin, with "glowing" coloured edges.
CMI Accessories Director Enzo Carrara said he regularly demonstrated the effectiveness of the product by smashing his own phone screen with a hammer in front of shocked onlookers, as do his stockists Australia-wide.
Click to enlarge
"When I tell people about the potential of this product, they often don't believe me. But when I take out my hammer and go to town on my own phone in front of them, they generally change their mind pretty quickly!" said Mr Carrara.
"Once they have taken their screen cover home, they are soon putting it to the test and we are regularly seeing customers returning to the store to tell their supplier about their 'saved screen' moments.
"We are also seeing some great videos of people demonstrating the product and showing that this really isn't like anything else available on the market today", he added.
Costing from AUD $39.95 at the NeonTuff store
, the company says its protector is price "on par" with similar products, "while stripping them in performance" - and avoiding the "screen dullness" seen with "typical" PET plastic screen protective films.
NomadNRG CEO, Jack White said: "As the mobile phone business has boomed - recent research shows 1 billion smart phones will be bought, sold and shipped in the next 12 months - so too has the screen repair business. NomadNRG has even set up the FixYourCrack.com.au site
in response to the boom, and today that service delivers not only quality repairs but also sees all repairs returned with a NeonTuff in place to prevent future breakages.
"Pretty much everyone knows someone who has broken the screen of their smartphone or tablet device at least once and are either walking around with a damaged screen or have had it replaced - with varying degrees of success in regards to quality and cost.
"This product removes all of that, effectively saving screens every time they are dropped, thrown, hit, kicked, or even smashed with a hammer!".
Click to enlarge
Mr White also talked up the environmental benefits, noting how NeonTuff can prevent "yet another broken screen making its way to technology landfill".
He added that: "The environmental potential of this product is something very important to me, which is why we are in the process of establishing what will be known as MISSION: 1,000,000 'Save the Screens' - endeavouring to see NeonTuff save one million screens by 2015 with charitable donations of profits to be tied in to the success of key milestones in this journey."
Coming with a two-year warranty, the screens have been manufactured for the following smartphones and tablets:
- Apple iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, 4
- Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 2 and 3
- iPads 2, 3, 4 AIR and iPad Mini
- Additional products for more popular models to become available regularly.
A video demonstration showing NeonTuff's toughness is here.
- 'Unbreakable' screen protection - anti-scratch, anti-impact, shockproof
- 9H hardness - the highest level of hardness for plastics, equalled to the hardness of tempered/enhanced glass
- Superior to plastics thanks to strength and shatter protection, as well as crystal clear transparency and glass-like feel
- Superior to tempered/enhanced glass thanks to impact protection - tempered/enhanced glass is susceptible to shattering into thousands of hard glass shards on impact
- Made from the latest breakthrough patented ceramic nano technology
- Super thin - only 0.3mm in width
- Glowing edges - screens are available with glowing edges of green orange, yellow or blue, as well as in clear
- Superior crystal clear for high definition viewing (no more dull screens)
- Easy to install - follow our web site installation video here
- Protected by a two year warranty - click here for full details
- Designed for iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, 4; Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 2 and 3; and iPads 2, 3, 4 AIR and iPad Mini, NeonTuff to come for other popular smartphones and tablets.