|Netgear states that, in an industry first, Orbi "is the only system to leverage tri-band Wi-Fi, which has the unique capability of providing a dedicated wireless channel between the Orbi router and each Orbi satellite".|
"Tri-band Wi-Fi is similar to a virtual wire, delivering maximum speeds no matter how many devices connect," Netgear explains.
"This dedicated wireless connection ensures far-reaching coverage, empowering you to enjoy uninterrupted Wi-Fi connections with the fastest internet speeds that you are paying your service provider for."
The Orbi kit includes a pre-paired router and satellite, with the router connecting to a modem or service provider gateway, and the satellite to be placed in a location in the centre of the home.
Netgear states that the tri-band Wi-Fi includes a dedicated 1.7 Gbps 5 GHz band solely for extending internet speeds to Orbi satellites, enabling the other two Wi-Fi bands to be fully dedicated bands for all connected devices across an entire home.
The Orbi system "with router and satellite can easily cover an area up to 4,000 square feet of a typical home", with Netgear stating that within the calendar year it will be offering kits with more satellites for larger homes, along with making satellites available as add-ons for the system.
"The strength of Orbi lies in its tri-band Wi-Fi, which enables you to enjoy the same level of connectivity throughout the entire home," David Henry, Netgear senior vice president of home networking devices, commented.
"Netgear Orbi delivers more high-speed Wi-Fi connections to more devices through this new advanced Wi-Fi technology that connects automatically and simultaneously to every Wi-Fi-enabled device in the home."
The Orbi Wi-Fi system, with one Wi-Fi router and one satellite, will be available in Australia in quarter four, priced at $749 MSRP.
Orbi technical features:
- Orbi Wi-Fi router and satellite form a tri-band Wi-Fi mesh for high-speed, whole-home Wi-Fi coverage
- High-performance Wi-Fi coverage up to 4,000 square feet
- Single Wi-Fi network name (SSID) for the entire network (2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands)
- 802.11ac AC3000 Wi-Fi speed up to 3 Gbps
- Tri-band Wi-Fi system with dedicated 5 GHz quad-stream wireless backhaul between the Orbi router and satellite delivering high-performance Wi-Fi
- Four Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 2.0 port each on the router and satellite
- Advanced router features such as IPv6, Dynamic DNS, port forwarding, parental controls and access point mode
- Auto-updates of maintenance firmware available to ensure the latest security and software updates
- Advanced Wi-Fi security with automated updates, WPS-protected set-up, 64/128-bit WEP; WPA/WPA-2 PSK, WPA/WPA-2 Enterprise