UPDATED: As the battle for dominance in the digital camera market heats up Canon is offering a $1 Million dollar prize opportunity to consumers who buy one of their digital cameras, however there seems to be a problem with Canon’s mathematics.
The official press release claims that consumers who purchase a participating Canon product between 15 October 2009 and 11.59pm (AEDST) on 9 January 2010, can register online at www.canon.com.au/milliondollarpicture to claim their bonus gift and automatically go into the draw for a 1 in 100 chance of winning $1 million.
According to my mathematics this would make it a 10,000 to one chance to win, not a 100 to one chance.
What is not explained is what happens if the company sells 10,000 Canon cameras during the promotion period and everyone goes into the draw.
To win a consumer will firstly have to qualify for the draw and for the 100 who are chosen, only one will have a chance of picking a picture linked with the $1 Million prize.
Failure to pick a winning picture means that Canon keeps the $1,000,000 and the losing consumer will get a $10,000 consolation prize according to Canon public relations consultants.
Canon claim that lucky person drawn will be invited to Sydney to try their luck at the Pick the $1,000,000 Picture event on 5 March 2010.
“This promotion is our biggest retail campaign investment yet and will capture the imagination of Australians this festive season,” said David Goldman Assistant General Manager, Consumer Imaging at Canon Australia.
He added “Bonus gifts for every eligible product make everyone a winner, but the chance to win $1,000,000 will be particularly compelling.”
SmartHouse was unable to contact Goldman to check on the inconsistencies.
The Canon bonus gifts include:
– Canon EOS digital SLR gift after purchase: Crumpler EOS Camera Bag OR Crumpler Camera Strap
– Canon LEGRIA video camera gift after purchase: Corel Video Editing Software OR Crumpler Legria Camera Bag
– Canon IXUS digital camera gift after purchase: Morrissey Men’s Credit Card Wallet OR Morrissey Women’s Purse
– Canon PowerShot digital still camera gift after purchase: Lonely Planet Travel Guide
– Canon SELPHY photo printer gift after purchase: Cinema tickets OR SELPHY Cubby House
– Canon PIXMA printer gift after purchase:
o Entry-level models: PIXMA Creative Pack
o Mid to high-level models: PIXMA Creative Pack and Corban & Blair Photo Album
Available through retailers nationally (Australia and New Zealand), the promotional period will run to 11.59pm (AEDST) on 9 January 2010 with the prize draw taking place on 2 February 2010.