According to Reuters, Japans Trade Ministry has said that three recent fires were caused by overheating Apple iPod nanos, which it said could be due to a battery defect.
Click to enlarge
Although no one was injured in the three fires, the Japanese government said in a statement that, “Apple had reported two other cases where people had suffered minor burns”.
The Reuters report noted that a possible defect in iPod nano battery cells could have caused them to overheat, with the Japanese trade ministry saying iPod nanos with known overheating incidents were sold in Japan fro 12 months between September 2005 and September 2006.
“We are not in the position to speculate on the outcome of the investigation. But after several incidents like these, it would be appropriate for Apple to take some measures to raise the public’s awareness,” the official told Reuters.