In an attempt to capture what it considers to be an under-utilised DSLR market, Canon has launched to new products, the EOS 450D and EOS100D
Canon’s SLR product manager Chris MacLeod is upbeat about Company’s chances of making huge inroads into the SLR market. “There were over 2 million compacts sold last year, and only 100,000 SLR’s, that means that SLR’s only make 5 percent of sales compared to compacts,” he said. “In a recent survey we did of 8,000 people, 43 percent said that intended to buy an SLR soon. The potential is huge.”
Click to enlarge
Canon believes one of the main reasons people are not buying DSLR’s is because they are complicated to use and expensive. Canon are trying to rectify that with these two units.
“The EOS 450D is lightweight and compact, making it easy for people to enjoy creative photography,” said MacLeod.
Combined with the imaging performance and super-fast speed of the DiG!C III image processor, the EOS 450D is claimed to be the perfect camera for creative photography fun.
It has Live View Mode with auto focus capabilities that allows photographers to preview images in real time.
Other features include:
- 3.0-inch LCD monitor
- Mode Dial for selecting automatic modes such as Sports, Portrait or Landscape
- Start-up time of 0.1 seconds.
- 12.2-megapixel CMOS Sensor (APS-C)
- 3.5 frames per second with continuous shooting
- Up to 53 shots in a single burst when shooting in JPEG
- 9-point Auto Focus
Released at the same time is the Canon EOS 1000D DSLR, which Canon believes is destined to become the camera of choice for users seeking more creative control and superior image quality than offered in their digital compact camera claims Canon.
It has a smaller screen than the 450D (2.5-inch), and can shoot at slightly slower three frames per second that the 450D model. It also has LiveView mode, an SD memory card for image storage and it incorporates an easy-to-use interface, making it simple for users to navigate and explore key functions.
Other features include:
- Auto Lighting Optimizer for brightness and contrast.
- Compact and lightweight
- Weighs 450g and is a manageable size that is easy to take anywhere.
- 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor
- DiG!C III Image Processor with 12-bit colour
- Live View Mode
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System
EOS 450D $1,149
EOS 1000D $TBC