Firmware updates are on the way for both the PSP and PS3 gaming consoles, the most exciting being the PSP firmware 5.00, which will allow the handheld unit to directly access the Playstation Store, according to the official Playstation blog.
Click to enlarge
The PS3 2.50 firmware update includes support for the official Bluetooth Headset, enhancements to the Trophy interface (makes sharing and comparing your trophies with your friends even easier), updated friend status, power save settings, background downloading, in-game screenshots and more. Below is a detailed look at some of these features:
· Video – This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.
· PlayStation Store – We’ve added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.
· Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.
· Background Downloading – You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.
· In-game Screenshots – this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.