LG is unveiling its first ThinQ smartphone the V30S, which is integrating new AI technology into the smartphone.
Debuted at MWC in Barcelona, its AI is centred around vision and voice. The Vision AI has three new intelligent camera features including, AI Cam, QLens and Bright Mode automating and enhancing smartphone images.
The AI Cam analyses subjects in the frame and recommends the optimal shooting mode among eight categories: portrait, food, pet, landscape, city, flower, sunrise, and sunset. Each mode enhances the characteristics of the subject taking into account factors such as the viewing angle, colour, reflections, lighting, and saturation level.
QLens takes further advantage of the image recognition capabilities of the AI technology to scan QR codes to improve the online shopping experience. Capture an item of interest with QLens to get information as to where to buy the product online at the lowest price as well as recommendations of similar items. Perform an image search with QLens to see matching or similar images of food, fashion and celebrities or detailed information of landmarks such as buildings and statues.
Bright Mode is activated through low light photography where instead of measuring only ambient light like most smartphone cameras, this AI feature uses algorithms to brighten images by a factor of two for better looking photos without the noise.
Voice AI allows users to run apps and change settings through voice commands alone. Working alongside Google Assistant, the LG-exclusive Voice AI commands eliminates the need to search through menu options and allows for direct selection of specific functions.
LG says it will be constantly updating the device to include more AI features.
Hwang Jeong-hwan, president of LG Mobile Communications Company says, “Many companies talk about AI but we’re already delivering on our promise by integrating intelligent technology in the LG V30S ThinQ to features most commonly used by our customers for a whole new level of convenience never before available in a smartphone of this calibre. And we will continue to introduce new AI capabilities to enhance usability and to demonstrate to our customers that we are committed to delivering a great user experience that continues long after the purchase of an LG phone.”
LG says there has been confirmation on whether this model will be sold in Australia so watch this space for news.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon ™ 835 Mobile Platform
- Display: 6.0-inch 18:9 QuadHD+ OLED FullVision Display (2880 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- V30S ThinQ: 6GB RAM / 128GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
V30S+ ThinQ: 6GB RAM / 256GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
Rear Dual: 16MP Standard Angle (F1.6 / 71°) / 13MP Wide Angle (F1.9 / 120°)
Front: 5MP Wide Angle (F2.2 / 90°)
- AI: AI CAM / QLens / Bright Mode / AI Haptic / Google Assistant
- Battery: 3300mAh
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Size: 151.7 x 75.4 x 7.3mm
- Weight: 158g
- Network: LTE-A 4 Band CA
- Connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Colors: New Moroccan Blue, New Platinum Gray
- Other: IP68 Water and Dust Resistant / MIL-STD 810G Compliant / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / HDR10 / Crystal Clear Lens / Google Daydream / UX 6.0+ / Voice Recognition / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm Quick Charge™ 3.0 Technology / Wireless Charging