The NSW Fair Trading Department has called for a recall of thousands of Loewe TV’s after reports that the TV’s sold 6 years ago are bursting into flames.
International Dynamics are facing a major problem after the NSW Fair Trading Minister called for a recall of over 4,000 Loewe TV’s sold between March 1999 and October 2001 because of a fire risk. However many of those TV could well have been traded in for new flat screen TV say resellers who sold the TV’s during this period.
Affected television sets include a wide range of Loewe 100Hz models produced between March 1999 and October 2001.
Advertisements of the voluntary national recall are due to appear in major metropolitan newspapers today.
“In the framework of continuous quality checks it was discovered that, in picture tube TV sets from the production period March 1999 to October 2001, faults could arise at certain soldered points which could lead to overheating of the set and, in the worst case, to a danger of fire,” Loewe said in a statement on its website.
NSW Fair Trading Minister Linda Burney said an estimated 4,700 of the affected televisions were sold in NSW.
She said there had recently been a report in Victoria of a fire in a Loewe 100Hz model television.
“Consumers with a Loewe television that is between six and eight years old are urged to immediately disconnect it and contact the company to determine if their set needs fixing,” Ms Burney said.
The company will arrange for a free home inspection and repair of affected televisions.
Information on affected televisions is available by calling a hotline on 1800 661 922 or online at www.loewetv.com.au.