We always knew sparks would fly when S III was released, but an explosion?
That is what happened a newly endowed S III owner in Ireland was driving with the new Galaxy when “suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone.”
The explosion caused the phone, which was on a car mount to completely burn from the inside out through the plastic and even melted the smartphone’s case.
The exploding S III also caused some minor damage to the user’s car.
“The phone was destroyed and it slightly burned a piece of plastic on the inside of my car.That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed,” the shocked user reported.
Click to enlarge
Despite this, the Android smartphone phone kept working, but without any signal.
After initially being reused a replacement from local retailer Carphone Warehouse, the “annoyed” Galaxy owner from Dublin was given a replacement phone by Samung Ireland.
The Galaxy S III was launched last month with much fervour with Samsung claiming it is “designed by humans and inspired by nature” and costs $899 outright.
Samsung confirmed the incident in Ireland and said it was investigating the incident.
“Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously,” it wrote on official blog.
“But there is no confirmation that it was a fault with the phone. It may actually have been caused by a combination of my car mount and my cars heating system. Just delighted to have my Galaxy back,” the Galaxy S III user added.