Sony is no clearer on the timing of its relaunch for the PlayStation video game network after previously claiming the network would resume by the weekend.
A Sony source in Japan said that the PSN site could be down for another 10 days as the company works to deliver a new secure environment for gamers and consumers who want to download movies.
They claimed that a big issue for the company has been the way in which consumers will be asked to log back on.
The executive said: “More than likely we will ask consumers who have already logged into the network to reconfirm their details. We will also ask them to create a new password.”
The executive said that Sony is currently going through existing code line by line in an effort to identify any miscellaneous code that may have been placed in the network by hackers.
“This takes time and is tedious.”
Claiming it was unaware of the extent of the security breach which resulted in the theft of personal data from 100m online accounts on April 20, the company said in a blog that it was conducting further testing.
“We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects.”
Sony also admitted it had found more than 2500 names and partial mailing addresses of customers posted by hackers on a website. The site was removed together with any residual links to the list, Sony said.
The data belonged mostly to US customers who took part in a competition in 2001.
Sony CEO, Howard Stringer, who has been under increasing pressure to resign, offered compensation to US PlayStation Network and Qriocity users, giving them a year long free enrollment in an identity protection programme.
The programme includes around $1m of identity theft insurance to users if they become victims of future cyber attacks.