Notebooks are becoming more affordable these days as companies churn out ‘basic’ models that deliver the bare minimum. Toshiba’s Satellite L300 is a no-fuss laptop designed for users who just use computers for Internet surfing, e-mailing, and word processing.
Click to enlarge
The unit that we got utilises a dual-core Intel Pentium processor running at 1.73GHz, has a gigabyte of RAM (expandable to 4GB), uses an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (128MB system video memory), and has 120GB storage space. Toshiba has installed Windows Vista Home Premium on the L300 and has included a number of programs to get things started.
Click to enlarge
While the notebook is good for web surfing, office tasks, and movie viewing, we found the notebook to struggle with photo/video editing programs as well as multitasking. This is expected of course, given the unit’s specifications, so users who want a more powerful notebook should look elsewhere. Battery life was within normal limits, with the L300 lasting 88 minutes before shutting down. The speakers can get loud but don’t expect clear vocals and thumping bass.
Toshiba’s L300 may not have as much power as other notebooks, but with a price tag of $949 (and $150 Cashback), it is quite understandable. Users with budget constraints should definitely check out this portable laptop.
See page over for product specifications and final rating.
Toshiba L300 (L300/L02) Specifications:
- Processor: Intel Pentium Processor T2370 (Dual Core 1.73GHz)
- Memory: 1GB
- Operating System: Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)
- Hard Disk Drive: 120GB (5400rpm) SATA
- Display: 15.4″ Widescreen WXGA TruBrite Display
- Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (GM965) (128MB system video memory and up to 251MB shared video with 1GB system memory)
- Optical Disc Drive: DVD SuperMulti Double/Dual Layer Drive
- Input/ Output: PCI Express Card x1, D-Sub, External Microphone port, Stereo Headphone port, Sound Volume Dial, Integrated microphone, 3 x Hi-Speed USB 2.0, 5-in-1 card reader, 10/100 Base TX Ethernet, International V.92 data modem + fax
- Software: Toshiba User’s Manual, Toshiba Value Added Package, Toshiba Face Recognition, Toshiba Flash Card Utility, Toshiba DVD Player, Ulead WinCinema Disc Creator, Ulead DVD MovieFactory for Toshiba, Toshiba Disc Creator, ConfigFree, Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1, Norton Internet Security 2007 (90 day trial), Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Trial (60 day Trial)
Toshiba Satellite L300 | $949 (and $150 cashback) | | www.toshiba.com.au
For: Included software; Ease of use; Large screen; Attractive price
Against: Specifications not as good (which is understandable); Battery life
Conclusion: On a budget? Go for this simple notebook by Toshiba