Millions of Playstation console and Bravia TV owners who were banking on accessing gaming and movie content on the Sony Playstation network over Easter, have been told that the network has been suspended indefinitely after initially being told that it would only be down for 24 hours.The network, which has over 10 million users worldwide, is believed to have become a victim of hackers.
Sony has issued a new statement regarding the recent PlayStation Network and Qriocity downtime. Resolving the situation is likely going to take longer than we initially thought, although work is being performed “around the clock,” according to senior director of corporate communications and social media, Patrick Seybold.
“Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure,” he continues. “Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.”
“We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.”
Users are seeing error messages stating the network is “undergoing maintenance” or is “suspended”.
In a blog post, maker Sony said it turned off the network on Wednesday after it detected an “external intrusion” and that it was doing all it could to resolve it the problem.
In recent weeks, Playstation has been targeted by hackers’ group Anonymous.
The group appeared to deny being responsible for the attack, releasing a message stating “for once we didn’t do it”.
The network has more than 70 million users worldwide, but Sony were unable to clarify how many players had been affected.
However, Twitter messages and blog posts have been posted from all over the world, including Australia.