But the Telco has yet to finalise any terms.As it announced its 2010 profit results on Friday, VHA also confirmed it has kicked off negotiations with the NBN over fixed-line broadband, describing them as “continuing”.
The Telco also expects these to come to fruition and for trials to kick off towards the end of next year.
Commercial terms of any deal have yet to be decided.
This comes as CEO of rival Optus sensationally described the NBN as a “monopoly”, at the Media Connect Conference on the Gold Coast at the weekend.
“The NBN is a monopoly that has to be kept in check,” said Paul O Sullivan.
“We’re not asking for any special favours. All we want is for the industry to get a level playing field” .
O Sullivan also lashed out at its largest rival Telstra, while calling for an independent body that has no links to the Federal Government or former state owned Telstra to police the network going forward.
He also said he believes the NBN will be built but called for contract transparency when dealing with Telco’s.
However, VHA appear to be taking a far more measured approach towards the NBN than their second biggest rival.
On the subject of access arrangements, Tanya Bowes, VHA Director of Communications, previously said it “welcomes the establishment of the standard access arrangements provided under the Access Arrangements Bill.”
“Obviously it will be a while before it’s all up and running but this is a good time to see how it will work and start learning about the things we might do in the future” said Vodafone Chief Nigel Dews on Friday.
“VHA’s first priority with NBN Co. remains securing commercial terms for transmission backhaul.
Australia’s third largest Telco is also actively and engaged with the government on the spectrum renewals process which it expects will be concluded soon.
Its profits for also leapt out of loss making territory, recording positive growth of $73.4 million, citing strong growth in new mobile customers.