The Apolco W3 allows you to listen to music from your notebook/PC wirelessly with its USB dongle and speaker system. It is a plug and play device that provides wireless audio within a couple of minutes.
Click to enlarge
The system comprises of a wireless speaker, a USB dongle that acts as a transmitter, and comes bundled with a 3.5mm audio and USB cable. The speakers use four AA batteries and hooking up the system is a snap. The dongle automatically installed the drivers on our test system (Windows Vista) and immediately steamed audio to the speaker. It can operate on eight different channels within the 2.4Ghz frequency, allowing a user to switch between them if necessary.
Apolco claims that you can connect up to 20 speakers to the dongle, allowing users to stream audio to different rooms simultaneously. This feature, while useful, can be costly – you would have to shell out $109 for additional speaker.
The sound quality, while not as good as dedicated speakers, is good for its size. The speaker system lasted about 10 hours with the volume set to about 50 per cent. Users can connect their music player to the W3 via its 3.5mm jack, making it a versatile system to have. The wireless range depends on the thickness of your walls, as well as where the unit is located.
Click to enlarge
The Apolco W3 is a good unit to have on top of your desk if you listen to music often, thanks to its good audio quality and wireless capability. It is available now for $109 at www.digislide.com.au.
– System Compatibility: Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, 2003 or XP, Mac OS 9.x/10
– PC interface: USB1.1 or above
– Working distance: Up to 20M
– Power supply: 4X AA Batteries/USB Jack
– Dimensions: 70 x 70 x 70 mm
– Weight: 150g (without battery)
– Frequency Response Range: 20Hz~20KHz
– Max Power Output: 1.5 W(L) + 1.5 W(R)
– Max Playtime: Up to 10hrs (varies on different battery type and volume level)
– Transmission Data Rate: 6 Mb/sec