Olympus Imaging has just unveiled world first ever compact camera with electronic viewfinder and fastest ever auto-focusing.
Click to enlarge
The first ever, Olympus OM-D Digital Compact Camera, the E-M5, launched today in Sydney is a game changer, the giant believes, with its high-resolution electronic viewfinder (EVF), real-time digital interface and 3″ OLED touchscreen (with 610,000 pix)
The first in its series, Olympus are hoping the new OM-D range will do the business, same as its Pen range which is the top selling cam of its kind in Australia (and Japan).
Why is OM-D so good, I hear you cry? There are three main features that makes this high end compact cam a standout, an Olympus spokesperson told SmartHouse.
Number one, its integrated 1.44 megapixel electronic viewfinderand equipped with the world’s first five-axis image stabiliser (IS) , capturing movements from more angles (horizontal, vertical, pitch, yaw, roling), than the standard two-axis camera, as the sensor will shift accordingly, so clearer and more precise pictures.
And number three – it is splashproof and dust proof and resiliant.
The mirrorless cam also has a 16 megapixel LiveMOS image sensor (maximum 240fps frame rate), making it the world’s fastest auto-focusing camera with 35 auto focus ‘zones’ and 3D AF tracking.
“We believe OM-Ds will do for cameras what tabs did for computing industry,” declared Olympus Australia boss Marc Radatt.
“Compact systems are the future,” he added.
“The OM-D series heralds a new technological epoch in interchangeable lens digital cameras, as conventional digital SLR camera designs come to an evolutionary end in user experience and portability,” say the camera maker.
On first look, revealed the camera to be sturdy to hold, delivering clear, crisp pictures capturing subjects to precision.
And with the electronic viewfinder “what you see (on screen) is what you get in the picture”, said the Olympus rep at today’s demo.
And he was right. Taking a picture with the EM-5 captures the image subject’s colour, shape and form with precision, aided by the sharp viewfinder, which gives 100% field of view.
Click to enlarge
And when shooting video the new Olympus has technology called FAST-AF or Frequency Accelerated Sensor Technology Auto Focus, and 3D subject tracking, a new feature in continuous AF mode, which will help focus the device on moving subjects, meaning there is no jerkiness when moving camera position.
And its one of the only compact cameras built to shoot full HD 1080 video and was built for the purpose of long video making, rather than a secondary feature like other cameras, according to Olympus rep.
The EM-5 camera has the MSC (Movie & Stills Compatible) lens technology and a short release lag.
Its eye-level sensor automatically switches Live View between the rear OLED touch-sensitive screen and the EVF when the camera is lifted to eye-level for shooting.
Click to enlarge
The camera’s handy tilting 3″ OLED capacitative touch-screen also enables tap-shooting with focus point selection, and image playback.
Here’s are OM-D main features:
1. Electronic Viewfinder with 1.44 megapixel resolution (advanced aspherical optics, 18mm eyepoint and 100% field of view)
2. World’s fastest autofocus speed using FAST-AF technology (with 35 AF zones and 3D AF tracking)
- World’s first Five-axis image stabiliser (maximum -5 EV stabilisation capability; live image-stabilised view; built-into camera body; stills and video)
4. 16 megapixel LiveMOS high-speed image sensor (ISO 25600 maximum sensitivity)
5. TruePic VI advanced image processor
6. Full HD video with Multi-motion image stabilisation (broadcast quality; stereo sound)
7. 3 inch tilting OLED touch-screen with 610,000 pixels
8. 9 frames per second sequential shooting rate
9. Splashproof and Dustproof metal alloy chassis
And on the E-M5 is robust say its maker both splash and dustproof, and features a strong magnesium alloy chassis.
Here are some other features for camera junkes:
· New EVF Creative Control function provides live interactive highlight and shadow adjustment and white balance control
· Ergonomic twin input control dials
· Bundled with clip-on FL-LM2 weatherproof flash
· Wireless flash control (when the bundled FL-LM2 or the new FL-600R strobe unit, is attached)
· Shutter speed range 60-1/4000th seconds including Bulb
· 120fps maximum EVF display rate in still shooting with 29ms display lag enables sequential shooting display with minimal viewfinder delay (default frame rate is 60fps, adjustable to 120fps). Video refresh during video recording is as fast as 240fps, reducing the rolling shutter effect entirely.
· New Li-ion battery BLN-1 and new charger BCN-1