A brutal battle is set to unfold in the Android smartphone market between Samsung the market leader with their all new Galaxy S10 and S10+ and Huawei who are desperate to try and knock off their arch Android rival with an all new premium P30 and P30+ device.
Millions of dollars are being thrown into the battle by the Chinese Company whose senior executives were caught out at the weekend using Apple products instead of Huawei made smartphones and PC’s.
For Huawei the battle has moved from trying to take on Apple to knocking off Samsung which is set to be a difficult exercise with the centrepiece set to be the photo capabilities of their new P30 smartphone Vs the Samsung S10 and S10+.
Currently Huawei is trying to overcome a major brand problem over the security of their devices after the Australian Government banned carriers from using Huawei 5G gear, serious questions have also been raised about the authenticity of images syndicated by Huewei purporting to have been shot using the new P30.
The local subsidiary is now throwing millions at carriers and retailers to range their products while also trying to buy a positive spin from technology journalists with business class tickets and first class hotels in Paris where the new P30 and P30+ will be officially unveiled tonight.
Observers claim that their marketing spend is way beyond their sales in Australia with competitors claiming that they are “buying” market share with the “long term” more important than the “short term” claim analysts.
At a major pre brief last week for the new P30 device, we had to sign a non-disclosure relating to the launch of the new smartphone.
At this event senior Huawei management claimed that they were “number 3” in the smartphone market behind both Apple and Samsung.
This is a position that has been fervently challenged by TCL who own the Alcatel brand that both IDC and GFK have in third place in the Australian smartphone market.
Sources at both Harvey Norman and JB Hi Fi have told SmartHouse that it is only recently and after “significant” marketing expenditure that Huawei smartphone sales have started to improve.
Both these retailers are being offered significant marketing and rebate deals to market the P20 and the new Huawei P30 range.
Questions have also been raised about Huawei marketing.
At a pre brief event in Sydney the Company said that the P30 camera was superior to their competitors.
They even showed an image of the P30 camera’s capability (A device we cannot talk about yet) and that of a competitor.
Their NDA states that all photos and videos that you produced at the pre-briefings should be stored on your cameras or devices and must not be uploaded to any cloud storage services.
The Company claimed that ‘Huawei considers the products and information it will disclose to you, during this pre-briefing, to be proprietary and confidential’.
When we can talk about this product, we will reveal that the competitive images shown was not a true indicator of the new P30.
The Huawei P30 and the claimed comparison images were shot by James D. Morgan who advise as Creative Director & Photographic Consultant for Getty Images in Australia.
He had been retained by Huewei to not only shoot comparison images but present at the Huawei Sydney event.
We asked Morgan for copies of the comparison images, both Huawei their PR Companies (There were multiple at the event) and Morgan did not supply the images including information on how they were shot.
We will address our suspicions when the NDA is lifted on Tuesday as we at the time suspected that the comparison image was not shot with a Samsung Galaxy P10 or P10+ which we believe is the only logical comparison smartphone to compare the new P30 with.
Nor do we believe that the comparison image was shot with an Android based device. We will show you these images when we are free of our none disclosure undertaking later this week.
Last week the Chinese Company were challenged after the Company were caught trying to pass Getty stock images as photos taken by the new P30.
The misinformation was discovered after Huawei’s CEO for its consumer business group, Richard Yu, posted a collection of sample images for the upcoming phone through his account on Sina Weibo, a popular social networking service in China.
A short disclaimer that stated the product images and content were provided for reference only.
The fake images hyped up the P30’s camera by featuring individual images presumably taken by the phone and it’s powerful “periscope zoom” camera.
It was revealed that at least three of the pictures are up for sale through Getty Images.
One of the photos, which features a young child and three ducklings, was actually taken four years ago by photographer Jake Olson.
In an email, Olson told PCMag that Huawei didn’t get permission to use his photo, but he said the picture was likely made available on Getty Images.
This is not the first time that Huawei i has been caught out passing off professional-grade photos as smartphone-taken images.
In 2016, users noticed a promotional image for the company’s P9 handset actually contained some EXIF metadata that indicated the photo was taken by an expensive DSLR-camera.
Two years later, the company committed the same blunder, specifically in Egypt.
Through an Instagram post, a Huawei-hired actress accidentally revealed that the company had used a DSLR camera to take a still shot that ended up in the TV commercial to promote its Nova 3 handset.