Fujifilm has announced the launch of the X-A7, its entry-level model for the X Series mirrorless camera range known for its compact, lightweight design and image quality.
The X-A7 will be available in October 2019 for $1,049 at leading photographic stores and selected retailers.
It comes with a newly developed 24.2MP APS-C image sensor, which uses copper wiring for high-speed data readout and phase-detection pixels.
This allows the camera’s AF to be fast and accurate in detecting and tracking eyes and faces in low light.
The X-A7 also features smooth 4K, high-speed video and advanced high-ISO capabilities, which according to Fujifilm, has “never been seen in this class of camera”.
All these features are packed into the compact camera body that weighs just 320g.
In terms of camera tech, it features a 3.5-inch 16:9 LCD touchscreen with a maximum luminous intensity of approximately 1,000 candelas and is the first camera in the X Series to adopt a vari-angle monitor, which offers flexible perspectives.
It also has the quick Face/Eye AF feature, which when paired with the Portrait Enhancer mode, enhances both the operability of taking self-portraits and the quality of portrait images.
The camera also introduces a “Smart Menu” that facilitates intuitive touchscreen operation, especially tailored for beginners.
“Fujifilm has a long history of producing industry leading cameras and cutting-edge technology,” said Alex Zitser, General Manager, Electronic Imaging at Fujifilm Australia.
“To be able to take that technology and pack it into an entry-level camera will make beautiful images and content accessible to more and more Aussies, something we’re very proud of.”
Key features include:
New 24.2MP APS-C CMOS image sensor with premium image quality and advanced AF performance:
- The sensor features 8.5x more phase detection pixels across its surface than previous sensors. This greatly improves the performance in detecting face/eye, capturing moving subjects and focusing in low light situations.
- The use of copper wiring reduces digital noise, providing approximately one stop improvement in image quality at high ISO levels compared to previous sensors (2).
- A significant improvement in data readout speed enables a smooth frame rate of 30fps when recording 4K videos, reducing the rolling shutter effect which occurs when recording fast-moving objects.
Large 3.5” 16:9 wide LCD touchscreen:
- The X-A7 features a 3.5-inch 16:9 LCD touchscreen with brightness equivalent to most smartphones, enabling a clear view on the display screen even when used in daylight.
- The X-A7 incorporates a “Smart Menu” to easily change settings such as brightness, degree of background blur, Film Simulations and aspect ratios. This is done by simply tapping on the screen and seeing what the effect will be on screen in real time.
- The X-A7’s touch response performance is equivalent to that of a smartphone, allowing menu item adjusting to be done smoothly.
- The vari-angle display accommodates a wide range of shooting positions including high-angle, low-angle and self-portrait.
- The X-A7 supports aspect ratios including 3:2, 16:9, 1:1 and the newly adopted 4:3.
Compact and lightweight design weighing only 320g:
- Despite featuring a large 3.5-inch LCD touchscreen, the X-A7 itself weighs only 320g, and goes up to 455g with the kit lens (XC15-45mmF3.5-5.6 OIS) attached.
- The X-A7 has a long battery life, allowing up to 440 pictures taken per charge (3).
Advanced video performance and functions that cater to the growing demands for movie shooting:
- The image sensor produces 4K (3820×2150) footage using data equal to 6K (6032×3392), generating high resolution video with up to 30fps, little noise and no crop. Movies can be created in full HD or HD mode at up to 60p in full-screen 16:9 aspect ratio or the popular 1:1 square format for easy live-story posting on social media.
- The X-A7 includes a “Countdown Video” mode, which is helpful when uploading videos to social media. Video clips are filmed for a pre-selected duration of 15, 30 or 60 seconds, with the screen showing the remaining time.
- HD high-speed video capture at up to 4x speed easily produces epic slow-motion results of action.
Diverse shooting modes that help produce photography with a creative flair:
- A new [Bright Mode] feature is added to the [Advanced SR Auto] function, letting the camera configure ideal settings to produce HDR and other options that create brighter and more vivid images with a single touch.
- The [Light Trail] mode, added to the [Scene Position] selection, can be used to capture light trails of, for instance, car headlights, while checking the effect on the LCD screen in real time.
Enhanced connectivity for easy link to smartphones and tablets:
- The free smartphone and tablet app, FUJIFILM Camera Remote, alongside improvements incorporated into the X-A7, have enhanced the connectivity and stability with wireless communication.
- The X-A7 also supports wired communication with smartphones and tablet devices (4), which is useful when transferring large data like videos. Data is transferred approx. 8 times faster compared to wireless communication.