From October, a free trial of Carbonite Online Backup will be shipped pre-loaded on all Lenovo IdeaPad and IdeaCentre PCs.
Click to enlarge
“We are proud to be working with a world class partner in Lenovo,” said Bill Cunningham, EVP of Business Development at Carbonite. “We believe that someday every PC will ship with online backup pre-installed. Studies show that users are more likely to switch PC brands if their computer crashes and they lose valuable data. This move by Lenovo demonstrates its commitment to helping users protect their files.”
Lenovo’s technical integration with Carbonite works in the following manner:
- When pre-installed on Lenovo Idea-branded PCs, Carbonite prompts users to initialise the back-up service the first time the new computer is connected to the Internet.
- Once activated by the user with an email address and password, Carbonite runs quietly in the background, continually creating an initial remote backup of all data files.
- After the first back-up is complete, Carbonite continually scans the PC for all new and changed files and backs them up whenever the PC is connected to the worldwide web via a broadband connection.
- Storage capacity is unlimited: users never outgrow their Carbonite subscription no matter how much data they need to store.
- Carbonite never interferes with the speed of the users’ PCs or their Internet browsing.
- Data is double-encrypted before leaving the local computer and is transmitted to Carbonite’s secure data center using HTTPS (SSL) for total privacy.